Thursday 23 October 2008

28 weeks 1 day


Our growth scan was great today! The baby is measuring well for dates and i have plenty of fluid going on. The head measurement was bang on average, the thigh bone measurement was bang on average and the abdomen was BIG! LOL! Still well within normal ranges, but it means we're going to be having a tubber. I could have guessed that though cause our first was 8lb 12oz, so not small.

They estimated the baby's weight to be currently at 2lb 12oz. I have put on a couple of kilos since my last appointment 3 weeks ago, but it's still well within the okay range and the midwife said it's probably because the baby has had a growth spurt. I was 73 kilos, which is 11.5 stone. That makes sense cause i had all my clothes and shoes on and when i weigh myself nekkid at home i'm 11 stone 3.

We spoke about delivery and the consultant said that since everything looks great they will play it by ear with my delivery, but would like to see me go to 38 or 39 weeks. She explained that the baby is four times more likely to require ventilation at 37 weeks and this halves by 38 and halves again by 39 weeks. I completely understand that and the last thing i want is for anything to happen to this baby because i was impatient to get it out of me. I want the baby to be able to leave the hospital when i do. I told her that my reasons for wanting to go earlier are completely selfish and i will do whatever is best for this baby.

She did reassure me that i could go in to be put on the monitor anytime i felt i needed or wanted to. They will keep on scanning me and looking at the placenta and if there is any sign of things changing they will be on it right away. She said that they wouldn't sacrifice my mental health for a later delivery either, if i was going insane with the wait. She was nice, but firm. I liked her.

My sugar levels were all fine, blood pressure was low as usual and nothing in my urine.

A success! :o)

No comments: