Thursday 2 October 2008

25 weeks 1 day

Get It Down;31 for 21


I'm going to be blogging in support of Down Syndrome Awareness month for the whole of October. The 31 for 21 campaign is about bloggers making sure they blog for each day of October. I probably won't have much to say about Down Syndrome myself, because i am still learning, but i wanted to do this in support of my friend Laurie and her gorgeous little baby boy Dylan who has Down Syndrome. Click on the graphic above to learn more.

So today we were at the diabetic clinic learning about how to monitor and control my blood sugars. I've got a machine for testing my blood four times per day and a little book for keeping a record. I was pleased because although i eat a lot of sweets i am not too bad and i don't have to make too many adjustments. The main things i need to do are change to eating brown bread instead of white, cut out jelly sweets and the like and also change to sweeteners in my tea instead of sugar. It was really interesting to learn about low and high GI (glycaemic index) foods and how they affect my body's ability to digest sugars. It's certainly good stuff to know, even without the gestational diabetes!

The best news is that i can still eat chocolate! It's a medium GI food, so i can still have it in moderation. :o)

Our new wardrobes are almost finished. My husband spend a good few hours putting the flat pack together today and i felt a bit like a spare part cause i couldn't do anything. I took him light parts and held stuff, but i was pretty useless really. The wardrobes look fab though! I can't wait until the bed and bedside cabinets are up cause it's going to look so much better. Then i can get to nesting and putting stuff neatly away in the wardrobes. LOL!

Tomorrow i need to go to the doctors to get some more pots of little blood collecting tags for my sugar measuring machine. I can't forget!!

No comments: